|Reports To:||Podiatrist||Physical Strength:||Heavy|
This position is responsible for providing mobile Podiatric medical assistance under the supervision of a Podiatrist by performing the following duties.
- Positions patients appropriately for foot care, assists with taking shoes and socks off.
- Assists patients with lifting their legs on to foot stools.
- Performs pre-treatment foot evaluations.
- Maintains and updates written and electronic medical records (EMR) of patient information such as medications, allergies, previous surgeries or last date seen by Primary Care physician.
- Takes photographs for documentation via Mobile EMR on tablet.
- Administers topical agents to patients as directed by a physician.
- Removes Compression stockings as needed and reapplies stockings at end of visit.
- Prepares and educates patients for outpatient diagnostic tests such as ultrasound blood flow exam.
- Prepares patients for minor office procedures by preparing and setting up sterilized instrument stand.
- Educates patients about doctor directed treatment options for fungal toenails or other conditions affecting feet or lower limbs.
- Provides basic care such as dressing and bandaging wounds with topical antibiotic ointments.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures such as; biopsy of fungal toenails, debridement of toenails, removing ingrown toenails, draining abscesses, collecting aerobic and anaerobic culture via swab, collecting gout crystal specimens and biopsy of suspicious skin lesions.
- Provides postoperative care to patients after minor office procedures to ensure wound healing and recovery from local anesthesia effects.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance.
- Has a reliable mode of transportation to travel long distances through remote areas of the state of Oregon- or willing to travel with team in company vehicle.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee, patients or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education & Experience
High school diploma or GED.
Previous Medical School applicants, withdrawn medical students, unmatched graduates or foreign graduates are encouraged to apply- salary commensurate with medical education and medical experience. Potential for Student loan forgiveness via Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) qualification via 501(c)3 non profit in the future.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations
Certification from the American Society of Podiatric Medical Assistants, PMAC (Podiatric Medical Assistant, Certified)- preferred but not required.
Graduation from a Medical Assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)- preferred but not required.
Verifiable credentials from the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants- CMA (AAMA)- preferred but not required.
This position requires regular (21-50% of the position) in-state travel for the purpose(s) of providing mobile podiatry care at Assisted Living and Nursing homes statewide Oregon. Travel will primarily consist of day trips but may also include overnights. On Non Clinical/ Admin days- Remote home based administrative work is required.
Corporate Home base is in Salem, Oregon.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Job requires specialized computer skills. Must be adept at using various applications including database, Electronic Medical Record- EMR (Athena), spreadsheet, report writing, project management, graphics, word processing, presentation creation/editing, communicate by e-mail, HIPAA compliant secure messaging and use scheduling software.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to type or dial, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and may regularly be exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, use stairways to climb to multiple floors within office building, and taste or smell, and may occasionally be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and may occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. This position requires frequent computer use. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.